Friday, June 11, 2010

Ever had a salesman knock on your door?

I can't say that I've had a lot come to my door, but a few. I'm usually hoping that the cleaning fairy is knocking on my door, but it never happens. I've decided that people only come over when my house is a mess, and I haven't had a chance to shower yet. And to top it off, Liv always yells "come in!"
So, I know no one is really happy when a salesman knocks on your door. So, what's the best thing to do?

I've come up with a few things that maybe you've never thought of before (I know I never did) since my husband is a salesman this summer. I don't think there are very many things that we would sell. He is selling pest control. And not just any pest control...
He works for Ecofirst, which doesn't spray in Nevada yet, but here's why it's good...
-they don't spray in your house unless there's an infestation (so, no side effects-if you get them)
-they have a permit to spray your yard, which means no more ant piles for the kids to get into or aphids on your rose bushes, plus the added benefit of them staying out of your house
-They come out quarterly, and not monthly. If you happen to find something that needs killing in the meantime they will come out for free and get rid of it.
-And it's all eco-friendly, so your garden will still be intact when they leave

That's why it's a great product, because we wouldn't sell anything that we didn't feel good about ourselves. I know a lot of people are just looking for any job, and they will sell anything they can if it will pay. So, here's the best thing to do:
-If you're really not interested at all, let them know immediately. I have always been the type to be nice and listen to what they have to say before trying to let them down easy. Salesman make more money the more interested people they talk to. So, be up front and tell them.
-If they are selling something you already have (like pest control) they may be able to do a better job and give you a better price. So, it won't hurt you to ask questions. They may even be able to cut costs if you're interested in saving money with them. It doesn't hurt to ask.
-If the salesman is being rude, or pushy then you can ask them to leave. Swearing and yelling isn't good for anyone, and it's just rude. Slamming the doors in their face also isn't polite. Salesman have a job to do, and it helps everyone to be polite.
-If you ever feel threatened or upset by what they are saying to you, call the police. It's not their job to knock on your door and upset you. I wouldn't buy anything from someone that wasn't polite or tried to intimidate me.

Just remember next time someone knocks on your door...it could be someone that you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment