Monday, April 18, 2011

One of those days...

The past 24 hours have been hard. Our entire family is sleep deprived and grouchy. Why you ask? Because we got the girls new beds. Tyler & I have been dreading this occasion. We waited as long as possible, but Carter is going to be in the crib here very soon, so we couldn't wait anymore. We both know our little Kate so well, and we knew this was going to be hard.

Kate started escaping from her crib last week. It took her a while, and if we put her back a few times, she was too tired to keep trying so she would fall asleep. It took her a few days to learn how to escape from her new bed and it now takes her approximately 5 seconds to get down...

Here she is peacefully sleeping in her new bed
She also was pulling about half of the books off of her bookshelf, and turning the light on in her room. That, we could handle. No problem. Here's how the last 24 hours went down...

We put the girls to bed as usual. They have a routine that they like, and they both went down as easy as usual. They actually went to sleep early since church is during nap time so they are exhausted by 7:00. Since they went to bed early, Tyler and I decided to stay up and watch the new Harry Potter movie that our friends bought because we hadn't seen it. (We will definitely be buying it). So, it's about 11:00 when the movie is over. I had put Carter to sleep a few hours earlier. He has been waking up a lot lately, so he fussed at about 1:00 am and I think I fell back asleep at around 2:00. Then at 3:00, I look up to see this little face inches from mine. Kate smiles really big and says "Hi, mom!" It was so cute, but it was the middle of the night. I was desperate to get some sleep so I just picked her up and laid her down next to me. After about 30 minutes of her kicking me and not sleeping I take her back to her room. I tuck her into bed, and get her a drink.
I am fast asleep when Tyler and I wake up to a crash in our room at around 4:00. Kate knocked down my phone that was charging on the dresser. I vaguely remember her yelling "oops!" I told Tyler it was his turn to put her back to bed, so he does. He said that he heard some noises after that, but he was tired and didn't do anything. He told me that he got up again to put her to bed.

Tyler got up, as usual, at 6:00 and then left for work. I got up with Carter at 6:00, as usual, to feed him. We both fell back asleep. Then, a little before 7:00 Alivia climbs in bed with me. She said that Kate fell asleep in her bed. So, she went to sleep in Tyler's spot. We are all 3 sleeping in the bed when Kate jumps on top of us all and yells "Good Morning!" at a little before 8:00.
I am exhausted, but the kids are happy, so we go about the morning as usual.

I notice that the wiggle cars that I brought inside after I put the girls to bed last night were on the other side of the dining room. I also noticed that the little blue stool from the kids bathroom was in the kitchen up against the counter next to the brownies. Tyler and I discussed what I found in the morning, and he saw last night. We figure she must have gotten herself a drink, tried to get some brownies, and rode her wiggle car around the office/dining room in the middle of the night, in the dark. Basically, she took advantage of her situation, and made the most of it.

I figured Kate would just crash out at some point during the day from exhaustion, but she didn't. She was grumpy though. So, afternoon nap time rolls around. I put Carter down, and put a movie on for Liv. Then I put Kate down and I keep having to put her back in bed. So, I locked her in her room. About a minute later, she comes back out. So, I just held the door closed while she threw a fit until she fell asleep (about an hour) and then Carter woke up from his nap which also means that I didn't get a chance to clean the house. Thankfully, she took a 3 hour nap.

It is now almost 10:00 pm and the girls are still awake. They are fighting over books, and Kate keeps getting out of her bed and turning on the light. Wish us luck!!!

And if anyone has any advice, cough it up! But, you should also know that Kate, since the day she was born, will only sleep in her bed. I have never been able to rock her to sleep, or put her in bed with me to fall asleep. It's either that she sleeps in her bed or she doesn't sleep at all.

Here's hoping for some sleep. I am one of those people that needs my rest or else...

sig1

3 comments:

  1. I am glad my kids haven't been too bad about going to bed and staying in bed, even when they move out of the crib but I'm sorry you have to be sleep deprived!
    With my oldest I switched the lock around in her room so that I could lock it from the outside and she couldn't come out. It didn't take too long and she learned to stay in bed. Luckily my second hasn't had any problems and he goes to bed in his big boy bed pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I invented, "the burrito wrap", for this exact purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to have to lock her in her room for nap time, but I can't for bedtime because Liv needs to be able to get out and go to the bathroom. This morning she woke up before everyone else to open all the blinds, and eat the leftover FHE cookies.
    She is an escape artist, the burrito wrap won't hold her for more than a few minutes. I think I'm going to drop the kids off at Papa's house for a week, ok?

    ReplyDelete