Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ellinor: Birth story part 2...

So apparently I need to do a follow up because Kris doesn't think that she remembers the event of Ellinor's birth well enough. So here goes...

 Hi I am Tyler, and this is one of my "few posts" that the 2 of you who read our blog (we have so many followers) will remember that I have referred to. First of all I am lucky. My wife is freaking amazing. I have read some birth stories and heard of people in this day and age who have natural birth. These women, in my mind, are some of the super heroes of our time.

So with that preface here we go...

Once upon a time Tyler and Kris were in so much love that they were expecting baby number 4 in our short almost 7 years of marriage.

Fast forward from conception to about 1 month ago. Ok 2 months ago. So Kris did a good job bringing you up to speed on the last trimester and the whole breech thing. In that trimester we moved from Independence to the Nashville area to accept a promotion. It was quick. They gave us a couple weeks to get moved. It happened quick.

I am not a fan of doctors. Over the years they have gotten very full of themselves and they think that they know so much more then the people that they are supposed to be making healthy. When it comes to health stuff we try very hard to educate ourselves as much as possible.

With that said we learned that the baby was breech which is not optimum. We were going to try to do everything we could to avoid a c-section. First they leave scars, and lets be honest girls don't like the scars. (they can't even get used to stretch marks :)) Moving on... Second the recovery from a c-section is not very good. Or at least it is not optimum...

So we tried to make the baby flip on our own. And to make a long story short it worked. (with out a bit of stress and effort.)

Here is where it get good. The whole doctor situation here in Nashville was not pleasant. All they wanted to do was see us for test they said were needed and then they would tell us why they were needed and explain to us by the vitals how they could tell we needed them. Then they would do the test and Kris would pass with flying colors. So why did we need to go 3 times a week? Ya exactly...

So lets get to the good stuff. As is normal for some one nearing their due date Kris was having many contractions and getting very uncomfortable. I could tell that we were getting close. I have seen this at least 3 times now. Sunday morning I woke up and saw Kris coming out of the bathroom and bent over to hold on to the dresser for a second and I heard her breathe pretty hard. "ALERT"!! Isn't that a sign that the baby is coming, when a women can't function because she is having contractions. YES!! Why was she in denial? Good question...

I didn't get ready for church and I told Kris that she needed to stop getting ready for church because we weren't going. She was very sure that she was fine and that we were going to go to church and maybe the hospital after church. I told her that wasn't going to happen. After getting the kids ready (and lots of bending over and holding onto things) she finally consented...  on one condition. We had to stop at the church and drop of her lesson plan... Ok fine. They babysitter came and Kris changed her clothes. We all prayed as a family and just as Kris stood up her water broke. I she said that with Carter her water broke right before she had him but that is not really right. She has had it broken by the Dr while she is in labor. So now as I am pushing her out the door I get her another pair of pants and a towel to sit on in the truck. With every contraction she squeals, not because of the pain but because of the water squeezing out when she had her contractions. Kinda funny.

Driving to the church to drop of the lesson plan the contractions start getting stronger. I don't want to deliver the baby in the car so I start driving faster and more aggressive. Yes I ran a couple stop lights. :) I make a quick stop and drop off the stuff and everyone is looking at me crazy because I am in my street clothes in church. I run back to the truck and head to the hospital. We get there and now Kris is really enjoying the contractions (not really) so much so that it is escaping her lips. I stop the truck by the emergency entrance and leave it there as I help her into the hospital. The security guard (yes there was a metal detector) was not really thinking because we walk in and Kris is holding onto his desk going softly "aaaaaa". Then I said " hey can we get a wheel chair?" Then it registered. O ya ok. Thanks bud. Then we have to be admitted  Some chick had just barley gotten to work and the home boy that was working the admitting station got us in the system and this chick was like hey just got here and I will take you upstairs right now. So we go upstairs and they have her get undressed which I pretty much had to do because at this point she isn't functioning well. She puts on the awesome hospital gown and lays on the bed. She gets checked and they tell us we are heading up stairs because she is dilated to a 7. Wow she is doing really good. We were planing on getting NOS for her pain instead of the normal needle in the back since that has caused permanent issues for her. FYI Vanderbuilt hospital is one of the only hospitals in the nation where they can use the gas in stead of the huge needle. Well we finally get up stairs to the labor and delivery room and they put us in a room. They ask what we want for pain. We say gas. They say ok. Kris is really feeling it by this point. Then all of the sudden she says " THE PAIN ISN'T GOING AWAY!" One of the nurses goes "ok and looks at her and then turns to another nurse and says get the doctor in here! Then they check her and the nurse says " GET THE DOCTOR IN HERE NOW!" Then it gets crazy. Kris starts screaming! Like for real. I have never heard her scream like that before. It was intense. The nurses are telling her to not scream because she need to hold her breath while she pushes. Then I am talking to her trying to help her but she doens't seem to pay attention because of... ya... pain... Kris all of the sudden looks at me and goes "HOLD THE BOTTOM OF MY FOOT!" I was holding her leg but I guess that wasn't good enough... They tell her to push again and then the head is crowning and all of the sudden Kris screams like a whole octave higher then she did before. It was strangely human and not at the same time... Then they pull out little Ellinor ( or as Carter calls her Nor. He can't say her whole name :)) Kris is doing much better at this point but still in pain then the doctor pulls out the after birth and then Kris lets out the big sigh of relief. Then all the post baby stuff happens weight and length and so forth. Kris turns to me and tell me that she wanted to punch the doctor in the face that told her the baby was to small and probably only going to be 5 LBS or so. I kind of chuckled. Then they asked Kris if she wanted to hold the baby but she wasn't ready. She was still shaking and couldn't get control of her self just yet. She finally held her and the rest is history.

Now having seen one of the most natural and spiritual, loving and amazing things that I have ever seen. I am so proud of my wife and can't really put into words how amazing she is! Words can't express the almost un-human experience of having a child. It takes strength that can't come from this world. I love my family! I love my wife more then I will ever be able to express.

I told her that she just set a new standard for birthing.... She is not sure that is a standard that will be met again. :)

   To be continued... (i mean another birth hopefully natural) or maybe I should say we will keep you updated...


 Tyler



No comments:

Post a Comment