Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Another Tyler post.



So as fate would have it, while we were working in portland this summer, I came across a car that I have been looking for for about 10 years. It's purpose? To resurrect my first truck. A little history about this truck for anyone who cares. (if you don't like car talk and my stories, stop reading now because that is all this post will be about.) Ford made these little trucks for about 10yrs starting in 72'. The truck that I acquired is a 76'. The cab is a little bigger but still retained the early look which I personally like better. In 76 this truck came with a small 1.8L 4-cylinder engine. It came from the factory with 74HP. A little under powered. To prove my point, the 1.8L engines of today come with more then double that. The truck is small, fun to drive, and can still serve as a truck. Anyone who knows me, knows that I like things that are different. I also love projects and I love fast cars and trucks. In the late 70's the Courier came stock with a 2.3L 4-cylinder engine that made more HP. (Click Light bulb) I will put one of those in there! After talking to my dad and listening to some old stories of his "glory days" with his friends, it was decided that I wouldn't put just any 2.3L engine in that little truck, but a TURBO charged 2.3L. In the early 80's ford started an SVO (special vehicle operations) unit that is still intact today. The first project? Mustang SVO. Which came with the Fuel Injected 2.3L Turbo. You see where this is going? They branched out and put the drive train in the cousin cars (Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, ect) as well, making them even more available. 88' was the last year of these little gems. They have become very popular and now they are becoming harder to find. Which is why I said fate, came into play. So now back to the truck. About 2 years before I left for my mission I found this drive train. I obtained it and started the conversion process. I didn't get very far. I had pretty much gutted the little truck and had never gotten to start putting it back together. I came home and started looking, not to seriously just here and there for one of the donors listed above. Summer 2010. Summer sales in Portland OR. Just scanning craigslist. Boom there it is! And in great shape to! O man the post is 10 days old and everyone is looking for these things. There is no way that thing is still there. Email confirms..... "I still have it. What do you want to know." Gulp! So after a bunch of jumping through hoops we get it and it makes back to NV at the end of the summer. So begin the project.
The Recipient!!!






Now I know what you are thinking. Really that pile????? Well i say to you, to each their own and all that cliché stuff. So The proposed swap from the factory had more then double the HP from the factory. Perfect. Even better, after doing tons of research I found that in the last 5 or so yrs these drive trains have become so popular that the parts and aftermarket industry has grown huge. These little drive trains with stock parts are capable of well over 250HP!! What!! Ya that is what I am talking about!!!!! So now you know why. Not to mention the truck has nostalgia! So now you are thinking well lets see this car. Ok Ok. You had better sit down.
The Donor!!!







Now that thing is ugly. So you see why i have no feelings of sadness for ripping the guts out of this car. I will keep you posted (if you care) on the progress. So back to the story. After doing some more looking and research i found out that there is going to be a bunch of modifying. I must have over looked the fact that the 2.3L that came in the early couriers must be different then the 2.3LFI turbo because it is a tight fit. So the quick easy bolt in swap that I thought was waiting for me, has become a full blown project. It is going to take longer then I had hopped but when it gets done it will be sweet!! It will be close to show type but it will be a nice daily driver! So there you have it. The thing that is filling my time, when I have some to spare, getting this think at least to drive before we head to MO in a couple of weeks. We shall see. I am so excited for this thing to happen!! 10yrs in the making and it is finally happening!!! With my luck and skill and life things, it will probably be another 10 before it is close to done. Well all I hope you will be able to see my vision and enjoy this transformation with me. I know I will!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment